Effective June 2013, the Community Service Officers of the Hastings Police Department took over the Code Enforcement duties. Community Service Officers are responsible for keeping neighborhoods free of tall grass and weeds and other neighborhood eyesores and nuisances.
C.S.O's follow up complaints made to the Hastings Police Department or by calling 402-461-2364.
For your convenience, we have included the related ordinance number for each code violation. Our City ordinances are made available online.
18-122. Duty to remove weeds from real estate.
It shall be the duty of every owner of real estate in the City to cut and clear, such real estate, together with one half (1/2) of the streets and alleys abutting thereon all weeds and worthless vegetation whenever the same shall extend more than six (6") above the ground. Such weeds and worthless vegetation shall be cut so as not to extend more than six (6") inches above the ground. (Code 1973, 24-24.5; Ord. No. 2703)
15-421.01. Parking on private property.
It shall be unlawful for any person to park or leave standing outside of an enclosed structure upon property owned or controlled by said person, or upon property which is not owned or controlled by said person if it is available for public parking either in a restricted or unrestricted manner, any motor vehicle which does not have a valid current state motor vehicle license affixed thereto in the place where said license is required to be affixed pursuant to Nebraska law, including Section 60-323 thereof. (Ord. No. 3527-3/96)
This covers vehicles anywhere on the property, including driveways. Examples include, but are not limited to: wrecked cars, vehicles that are all or partially dismantled and even vehicles with flat (or no) tires.
39-308. Distances and clearances for planting. Hastings City Code
Trees may be planted in the terrace where there is more than six feet between the edge of the sidewalk and the curb of the street. Street trees shall be planted no closer than three feet from a sidewalk, driveway or street. No tree shall be planted that does not comply with the vision clearance requirements specified in Section 34-306 of the Hastings City Code. No terrace tree shall be planted closer than 10 feet from any fireplug. Special permission must be obtained from the Community Forest Manager when planting a tree within 10 feet of any point on a line on the ground immediately below any overhead utility wire.
18-118. Nuisances -- Generally.
A person commits the offense of maintaining a nuisance if the person erects, keeps up or continues and maintains property in any one or more of the following conditions:
- The erecting, continuing, using or maintaining of any building or premises for the exercise of any trade, employment, manufacture, business, or other purpose which, by occasioning noxious exhalations, odors, dust, smoke, gas, fumes, noise, water, spray or other substance or residue, becomes injurious and dangerous to the health, comfort or property of individuals or the public;
- The depositing or accumulation upon any premises of garbage, refuse, rubbish, brush, trash, offal, manure, stagnant water or any other offensive, unwholesome or unhealthy matter, substance or condition, conducive to the breeding and existence of rats, mice, flies, mosquitoes, bacteria or any other rodents or insects; provided, however, this shall not apply to garbage or refuse stored in any garbage container in good condition with a tight-fitting lid;
- The deposit or accumulation upon any premises of junk; provided, however, junk may be located upon any premises for which a valid special use permit granted by the Hastings City Council, for operation of an auto salvage and/or junkyard is in effect;
- The parking or storing of any vehicle in a manner prohibited by Hastings City Code §40-102;
- The maintenance, cultivation, or permitting the growth or existence upon any premises of any weeds, bind weed, thistle, rank grass or deleterious or unhealthful growth or other noxious matter extending more than six (6) inches above the ground;
- The obstructing or encumbering by fences, buildings, structures or otherwise of any of the public highways, streets, alleys or sidewalks of the City of Hastings;
How do I Report a Code Violation
Report violations to the Hastings Police Department Dispatch Center by calling 402-461-2364 or by sending an email to .
What if I have a code violation?
The violation notice tells you which ordinance was violated. If you have any questions, there is a phone number on the notice or sticker to call to get more information.
Hastings, NE 68901