Post Construction Stormwater Management

The City of Hastings Development Services will now offer occasional Lunch and Learn meetings for developers, contractors and other various groups or public to help educate them on their processes, procedures and requirements. Participants will attend a meeting over the lunch hour to learn about a designated topic while enjoying a complimentary boxed lunch. The purpose of these meetings is to help various groups and public better understand planning, zoning and building-related requirements.

The first Lunch and Learn meeting was held on January 11, 2022.  This meeting focused on Post Construction Stormwater Management. Reuel Anderson of NPDES Compliance was the featured guest speaker. Select the link below to view a recording of the meeting.

January 11, 2022 Recording

The following questions and answers were asked at this meeting.  We hope by posting these questions we can also help other interested parties learn more about Post Construction Stormwater Management.

Q: Do I need to hire an engineer in order to submit the SWPPP?

A: You do not need to hire an engineer. You do need someone who is knowledgeable and can submit drainage calculations. This can be an architect, landscape developer, or you as the professional can also become familiar with the SWPPP process and do it on your own.

Q: Do I need to submit a SWPPP if I am only building on one lot?

A: A SWPPP is needed for one acre or more. For one acre or less, please refer to local ordinances. Even if the development is graded and stabilized before the lot is sold off it is no longer under the Common Plan of Development. It then reverts to the 1-acre lot size, pending local ordinances.

Q: How long have these regulations been in place?

A: The Clean Water Act was enacted in 1972, the NPDES permit was created as part of the Clean Water Act in 1972, and the Common Plan of Development has been in place since about 1999.

Q: If I buy three lots in a row which total more than one acre but I’m not a developer, do I need a SWPPP?

A: There’s no exemption regarding builder versus developer. It’s typically whoever started the development. Since the three lots total more than one acre, a SWPPP is needed.

Q: What resources are available for me to create a SWPPP and follow ordinances?

A: Reuel Anderson provided a template, freely available for anyone to use. Additionally, he has offered for the State to come out to the site, speak with developers individually, and point out improvements. Locally, you can meet with Hastings Building Inspectors if it is less than an acre or the Engineering Department if it is over an acre.  You can do this before or during the process. They can advise you on any questions or concerns you may have.