section image

Latest News

City Hall, 1st Floor • 220 North Hastings Avenue (402) 461-2302

Firefighters rescue dogs from Hastings house fire

Dog Rescued from House Fire

Hastings Fire and Rescue was able to save two dogs from a house fire just before noon on Tuesday.

HFR and Hastings Rural Fire responded to a report of a fire in the 1900 block of Boyce Street at 11:40 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters reported visible flames coming from the roof of the single-family home. Fire crews were able to get the fire under control within 10 minutes.Dog Rescued from House Fire

Fire Chief Brad Starling said the homeowner was not home when the fire started, but they rescued two dogs from the basement of the structure. The dogs were initially unresponsive, but first responders were able to administer oxygen to both dogs using masks made specifically for small animals until they were able to be taken from the scene for further treatment.

The dogs were taken to TLC Vet Care and are expected to return to their owner in the next couple of days.

Starling said the fire caused significant damage to the structure, leaving it uninhabitable. The homeowner is receiving assistance from Adams County Emergency Management, the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

The cause of the fire was determined to be unintentional due to burnt cooking material that was discarded in a garbage bin after it was thought to be fully extinguished, which smoldered and ignited nearby materials.

HFR was also assisted by the Hastings Police Department and the Hastings Utilities Department.

Published Date: 01/12/2021

Back to Latest NewsReceive Email Updates