HFR leads response to fire at 211 E. 2nd St.

The residential structure at 211 E. Second St. suffered extensive damage from a fire early Monday morning, Feb. 26.

At about 1:56 a.m., Hastings Fire & Rescue units were dispatched to a report of smoking coming from a structure at 211 E. Second St. Units arrived within six minutes to find heavy smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story home. 

The home, just east of downtown, was vacant, undergoing renovation, and there were no victims found. No injuries were reported by firefighters on the scene.

The fire took several hours to bring under control due to the age of the home and having had many renovations in the past. There were over 25 firefighters on the scene from four agencies including Hastings Fire & Rescue, Hastings Rural, Juniata, and Glenvil Volunteer fire departments. Other agencies assisting included Hastings Police Department, Hastings Utilities, Salvation Army, Hastings Streets Department, and the Nebraska State Fire Marshal.

After investigation, it was determined the fire started in the basement and was caused by an electrical malfunction. Hastings Fire & Rescue wants to take this time to remind everyone that it's better to be safe than sorry. If you see or smell smoke, call 911!

Published Date: 02/26/2024

Back to Latest NewsReceive Email Updates