Storm Water Management

What is the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Storm Water Program?

Polluted storm water runoff is a leading cause of impairment to the approximately seventy percent of surveyed U.S. water bodies which do not meet water quality standards. Over land or via storm sewer systems, polluted runoff is discharged, often untreated, directly into local water bodies. When left uncontrolled, this water pollution can result in the destruction of fish and wildlife, aquatic life habitats, a loss in aesthetic value, and threats to public health due to contaminated food, drinking water supplies, and recreational waterways.

Mandated by Congress under the Clean Water Act, the NPDES Storm Water Program is a comprehensive two-phased national program for addressing non-agricultural sources of storm water discharges which adversely affect the quality of our nation's waters. The program uses the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting mechanism requiring the implementation of controls designed to prevent harmful pollutants from entering local water bodies.

back to top

Are sewers and storm drains the same thing?

No, they are not the same thing. The two are totally separate systems from each other. A sanitary sewer system collects waste from your sinks, toilets, showers, and washing machines. The sewer system will then carry it to a treatment facility before being discharged.

Storm water is collected from our streets and then flows into a separated system. This system goes untreated and flows into local waterways, carrying all collected pollution with it.

back to top

What can I do to prevent storm water pollution?

  • Don't put anything in storm drains but rainwater.
  • Avoid throwing litter into the street.
  • Pick up after your pet.
  • Recycle your motor oil.
  • Bag, compost or recycle grass, tree limbs, leaves, and other yard waste.
  • Use yard waste as mulch, as natural fertilizer, or as ground cover.
  • Encourage local businesses to start a recycling program if they don't already have one.
  • Don't use harsh, abrasive or toxic chemicals around the house.
  • Recycle your grass, "Use a Mulching Mower".
  • Report illegal dumping.
  • Buy just what you need to do the job.
  • Be smart when you apply pesticides or fertilizers.

back to top

Can any products be safely poured down the storm drains?

No! The only thing that should enter the storm drains is rainwater. Everything that goes down the drain will end up in our local rivers and lakes, untreated.

back to top

How do I report illegal dumping or suspicious discharges?

Contact the Stormwater Pollution Hotline at (402) 461-2339 or submit the Illegal Dumping form.

back to top

Where can I find the NPDES FAQs?

View information on NPDES FAQs.

back to top


What is my wheel tax money used for?

Wheel tax funds are deposited directly into the Street Fund. Funds are utilized only for street-related activities by law. The City tries to match annual street resurfacing projects with an amount equal to funds received. Currently, the City receives approximately $350,000 annually from the wheel tax.

back to top

What is Highway Allocation money and how is it determined?

Highway Allocation Fund monies are the funds distributed by the State of Nebraska from the collection of Gas Tax collected on motor fuel at the pump. Funds are distributed by a formula established by the State that utilizes population size and lane miles of streets in the formula for distribution.

As our community grows in population and increases its street inventory in lane miles, our allocation factor increases. The conversion of a gravel street to hard surfacing increases our lane miles as well as any street widening or addition of new street subdivision development.

back to top

How do I request that my street be paved?

To request the paving of a new street, a Street Improvement District must be created. Property owners in an area may petition a new district be created in their neighborhood. To start a petition, contact David Wacker, City Engineer at . Dave can be reached by telephone at 461-2330 and can assist in preparing the petition with the correct boundaries before it is circulated by property owners.

Once completed, the petition should be returned to the City Engineer, and staff will verify the signatures and legal descriptions of the property owners. If the petition contains signatures of owners of 50.0% or more of the frontal footage, a Street Improvement District will be created by City Council. Work will then begin to prepare plans and specifications, advertise the district for bids and construct the new street.

back to top

Where do I call for repairs to my street, such as potholes?

To report a pothole or other damage to a street that is in need of a repair, contact the Street Department at or by telephone at 461-2341. Since there are many repairs that need to be made each year, the Street Superintendent will evaluate and prioritize all requests.

back to top

Where do I report a traffic control sign or street sign that is missing or damaged?

If you notice a traffic control sign or a street sign that is missing or damaged, call the City of Hastings Street Department at 461-2341. If the damage could potentially cause a driving hazard, call the Emergency Communications Center at 461-2364 and report the sign immediately. A Street Department crew can then be dispatched to the scene.

back to top

There is trash or debris in the roadway blocking traffic, who should I call?

Call the Hastings Street Department at 461-2341. If the trash is causing traffic problems or could potentially cause an accident, call the Emergency Communications Center at 461-2364, and a Street Department crew will be dispatched.

back to top

Where do I report a street light or traffic light that isn't working properly?

Street and traffic lights which are not working should be reported to Hastings Utilities at 463-1371.

back to top

How do I request a new street light or street sign be installed?

To request a new street sign (such as a stop sign) or a new street light be installed, please put your request in writing addressed to David Wacker, City Engineer at or mail to 220 North Hastings Avenue, Hastings, Nebraska. The City Engineer will evaluate the request and make a recommendation to the City Council, who has the final say in such matters.

back to top

I would like to know the traffic count for a certain area or Hastings, who do I contact?

The City Engineer's office conducts traffic counts for different areas of town and keeps the information on file. To obtain a traffic count view the NDOR Traffic Counts Map or contact Brent Brooks, Engineering Assistant I at or by telephone at 461-2333.

back to top

A storm knocked down tree limbs, will the City pick them up?

After the event of a severe storm the City may decide to pick up and dispose of any tree limbs from terrace trees. In such event the City will send out a press release to inform the citizens of the duration of this pick up.

Please contact the Parks Department at 461-2324 to notify them of downed limbs. The City, however, cannot pick up limbs from trees on private property (yards). Do not move trees from within the yard onto the terrace, the City will not pick these up.

back to top

There are flags on my yard or terrace, what work is being done?

Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to accurately tell by the flags what work is being planned. Anyone who has an easement or interest in a property can call Digger's Hotline to mark the area. It may be for work being done by the City, Hastings Utilities, Charter Communications or others.

back to top

I need to locate my property pins, will the City help?

The Engineering Department, can help give you instructions on where to locate your pins if a survey has previously be done on the property. They can be reached at (402) 461-2330.

However, if you still cannot find them or if there is no survey on record, you must contact a private surveyor. There are several qualified, experienced surveyors listed in the Yellow Pages of the local telephone book.

back to top